. Attention Grabber: Gun control isn't about guns, its about control .
Body of Speech .
I'd like to read a quote by our 3rd president Thomas Jefferson.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
This is the premise that a nationally known organization, the NRA stands behind. The NRA being the National Rifle Association. They believe that our forefathers included the second amendment for a purpose.
That purpose is just as important today as it was in the days of Thomas Jefferson. The purpose is to allow the individual to defend his freedom.
There are a number of reasons why this freedom needs to be protected. The number one and most important is to keep the individuality of the American people from becoming controlled by the Government.
Only sixty years ago Hitler took away the rights of Jews in Germany to bear arms. At that time it look like it was being done for the betterment of society. History has told us what followed.
... middle of paper ...
...her necessary supplies. If he travels he buys airline tickets and gasoline. If he goes out of state he may use the services of a guide, whose livelihood depends on shooting sports.
As you can see if guns were eliminated from our society we would be at a serious loss. Our freedoms would be in jeopardy, our individual safety would be questionable and a significant industry in our country would be at a deficit. The quote that "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is even more pertinent today. .
It is time that each individual takes responsibilities for his actions and not blame an inanament object for a wrongdoing.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Gun control is an issue that is constantly being debated. There are people who are pro gun control and those who believe gun control is unconstitutional to the citizens. Many political leaders and organizations have strong opinions on gun control, which keeps the gun control debate publicized. Gun control is limiting or taking the right of citizens to carry or purchase a gun. Guns are used for protecting the citizens by police officers and the military, as well as for many personal reasons like hunting and self-defense.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, legal reform]
1182 words (3.4 pages)
- When a person hears the word "gun," he or she usually associates the purposes and uses of a gun with crime-related issues and plots of terrorism because of modern culture. They are used for that purpose by some people, but those people do not represent all aspects of the relationship of firearms to society. In the United States, many laws have been passed in order to regulate the use of guns by certain individuals, along with the establishment of associations that specialize in the usage and handling of firearms.... [tags: Argumentative Essays, Persuasive Essays]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- When our fore fathers first came onto this land, they were oppressed by their rulers. These wise men decided to stage a revolt against their government and start up a new government, with a set of rules, laws and rights. They did not stage this massive revolt by negotiation, or arbitration but with blood shed on both sides. When the revolt was over, the fore fathers had risen to victory through the use of warfare and guns. They then decided to make a bill stating the basic rights that every man in the country could have.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- Persuasive Speech: Same sex marriages General Purpose: To persuade Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade the audience to agree that same-sex marriages should not be legal Central Idea: The audience will realize the vices and social disorders created by legalization of same sex marriages in order to preserve marital norms INTRODUCTION I. Same sex marriage is a trending topic if not a trendy one. Countries throughout the globe are pressured with the question of homosexuality being an issue of right or morality.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: to persuade General-purpose statement: to persuade my audience to become organ donors and sign up online Central Idea: my central idea are what organ donation is and how it works, arguments against organ donation and refutations, and how to become an organ donor and benefits of organ donation Good evening, everyone I want to start by doing a quick poll, just raise your hand once I asked the question. Has anyone here ever saved a life from ending. If a good portion say, “you can save even more people by becoming an organ donor.” If not a good portion say “who here will save someone’s life if it is as easy as writing two word?” You are all in luck.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
603 words (1.7 pages)
- TOPIC Why we should use seatbelt when driving a car SPECIFIC PERPOSE To persuade my audience to use the seat belt in car. CENTRAL IDEA There are three reasons why we should use seat belt when driving which are preventing death when an accident occurs, cultivate themselves too not violate the law and protecting our passengers. INTRODUCTION I. Seatbelt is a very important component when we all drive a car or other vehicle. The main purpose of seat belts is to provide greater safety to the driver when driving car but at the moment, people do not care about the importance of wearing seatbelt.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
714 words (2 pages)
- TOPIC: The insecurity in the Starbucks mobile payment PURPOSE: To persuade SPECIFIC PURPOSE STATEMENT: To persuade the audience of this speech to increase the security of Starbuck’s user information. Thesis statement: My audience should improve the security measures used in the mobile payment application because it puts customer’s information at risk of exposure to unauthorized person. The solution suggested will ensure that customers will feel safer using a more secure application to conduct their transactions.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- Topic: Gun Policy Specific Purpose: to persuade my audience that a uniform national gun policy is necessary. Thematic statement/ central ideas: A uniform national gun policy is necessary because the gun policies vary from state to state, the lack of a policy allows innocent death, and costs the public money. INTRODUCTION: ATTENTION GAINING DEVICE: Let me tell you a short story. At 11:10 AM, on Tuesday, April 20th, 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold arrived in the parking lot a few minutes before lunch “A” began.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech ]
665 words (1.9 pages)
- General Purpose: Speech to Persuade Specific Purpose: To get my audience to be pro on legalizing marijuana Thesis Statement: Marijuana isn't harmful and should be legalized Organizational Pattern: Cause and Effect To the AIDS or cancer patient, marijuana is the plant that fights nausea and appetite loss. To the nutritionist, its seed is second only to the soybean in nutritional value and is a source of cooking oil and vitamins. To the paper or cloth manufacturer, it is the plant that provided much of our paper and clothing for hundreds of years and produces four times more fiber per acre than trees.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech ]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Should the mere fact that criminals committing crimes with the use of guns infringe the national right of the innocent to possess guns. This is a question that arouses everywhere and no matter which way it is viewed the controversy will always go on. "A gun is a mere tool that can be used for good or evil. Our country is based on the belief that man is good until he or she is proven to be otherwise."(Harris p.2) This means that only a few people are committing crimes with uses of guns and why completely remove them from society.... [tags: Argument Against Gun Control]
965 words (2.8 pages)