My mom and I were cleaning up our attic this weekend, and in the process I found all sorts of old junk that I had forgotten about. Of course, I wanted to keep everything I saw; otherwise, I would not have stashed it there in the first place. But after standing over me and prying my hands off of every item that I encountered, my mom finally convinced me to haul all of my broken treasures to the Dump. I wince at the thought of having to brave the ever-present gloom that reigns there. The Dump is a strange and repulsive place, where people tend to bury the human spirit along with their refuse.
From the main road, the Dump looked like a prison. The perimeter was surrounded by an eight-foot chain-link with barbed-wire stretched tightly around the top of it. As I followed the slow procession of vehicles through the front gate, I noticed a man peeking through the blinds of a dirty office building. The building's tan exterior was peeling away, probably as a result of prolonged exposure to the toxic environment. Up on a hill overshadowing ...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Busy Bubbles Laundromat and Car Cleaning Free drying is for wash customers only May not be the most welcoming of banners, and yet if you are a wash customer you are one of the privileged and included. This wonderful space of washing, drying, tanning and car cleaning has to be the one and only Busy Bubbles. A small building just north of NDSU, this is an extraordinarily busy little corner of the world we call Fargo- Moorhead. Not only, can you wash your car and tan; this is a 24-hour laundromat that features: free drying.... [tags: Observation Essays, Descriptive Essays]
1611 words (4.6 pages)
- Mission Trip in Rio de Janeiro The second I walked in the door, I knew it was different than any other place I had visited that week. There was a presence of love and happiness hovering in the air. I could feel it; it was so strong. I didn't want to leave that beautiful place called Compassion International. In July 2000, I went to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for a mission trip. One of the days, we visited the kids of Compassion International. Compassion International is a program in which people from the U.S.... [tags: Observation Essay, Descriptive Essay]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Place Essay – The Evolution of a Small Park Piazzetta Vescovato is not just the prettiest square in the heart of Brescia’s historic downtown. Piazzetta Vescovato is a powerful symbol. Nested between Corso Zanardelli and Via Trieste, this little site has been a meaningful part of the lives of generations and generations of Bresciani (inhabitants of Brescia). Half a century ago, la piazzetta(as I like to call it) witnessed the horrors of the Second World War, when frightened people stepped on its sanpietrini(those little cubic stones that made up the pavement of medieval European streets), attempting to escape the Nazi soldiers or to reach a rifugio,an underground cellar that offered protect... [tags: Descriptive Essay About A Place]
1321 words (3.8 pages)
- I lay asleep in the car crammed between my brother and my sister; I open my eyes just in time to see a sign with half of the lights burnt out that read "State Bridge, Resort, Saloon, Restaurant, and Lodging." By the looks of the sign, I had a feeling that this place was going to be a dump. The word "resort" led me to believe it wasn't that bad. The thought I always kept in the back of my mind was what a Hawke family "vacation" was. We would always spend the least amount of money as we could, and we would leave as soon as possible.... [tags: Descriptive Writing Examples]
1823 words (5.2 pages)
- Changing Oil in Your Car When the average person's car needs an oil change we drive to a Quick Lube and have it done in 20 minutes. Another alternative would be to change the oil your self, this is a fairly simple process, most people with some common sense and some basic hand tools can do it at home on a weekend. The first step is finding out how much oil your car holds and what kind of oil filter fits on your cars engine. Your car's owner's manual will have a capacity section in the back, down the list till you come to the engine oil capacity, and the chart will list the number of quarts that your car needs.... [tags: Process Descriptive How To Changing Oil]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Descriptive Essay - The Swimming Pool The tiles were still dirty from the residue of chlorine and pittle combined into one thick layer of impossible gunk. This gunk surrounded the edge of pool right where the water met the lowest part of the tile and was even apparent underneath the shallow water fountain around the back end. The ring had been worn away in spots where the missus had got so fed up that she was gonna put an end to this "ring of filth" once and for all. A few times she had started, but had always found a broken nail or straying hair to become spontaneously obsessive about when her arm got tired of scrubbing.... [tags: Description, Observation]
543 words (1.6 pages)
- The Horse Farm I am jarred out of a relaxing sleep by a voice yelling my name in a loud whisper, and a light burning through my eyelids. Groggily, I open my eyes to see my father standing in the doorway to my messy room. He tells me that I need to get going, that it is 3:00 a.m., and I'm burning daylight. I find my clothes and get dressed. The whole time I wonder why I get up this early to visit the rugged outdoors. I want to go back to bed, but I know my dad will be back in to make sure I am getting ready, in a little bit.... [tags: Descriptive Essay, Descriptive Writing]
556 words (1.6 pages)
- The Baseball Diamond Many people don't understand the point in playing baseball. Why would someone swing a stick, hit a ball, and try to get back to where they started before the ball returns. What pleasure is there in that. Why not participate in a sport like wrestling or track where there is an obvious level of individual improvement and therefore pleasure. Well, I play baseball because of the love I have for the sport, and because of the feeling that overwhelms me every time I walk onto a baseball field.... [tags: Descriptive Essay, Descriptive Writing]
1487 words (4.2 pages)
- The perfect place in the city is one that is incredibly versatile – it may be bustling with activity one minute and nearly deserted the next. The city dock has been a mainstay of the city for as long as anyone can remember, and it has a different effect on everyone. Everyone can appreciate the dock for his or her own reasons. One of the best aspects of the city dock is the amount of activity that can almost always be found if you know where to look. Every year the Great Dock Canoe Race – an event in which teams of two people race a canoe across the bay - is held at the dock, and you’re guaranteed to find many teams racing their canoes in the bay.... [tags: Descriptive Essay, Descriptive Writing]
417 words (1.2 pages)
- Naples, not the most exciting place on the planet. No, people have seemed to conclude that Naples, FL is the place to go for a nice, relaxing retirement. And I have to agree, they are right. Naples is a place filled with tee times on golf courses, lunches at country clubs, longs walks along the beach and a casual stroll on the downtown sidewalks, sipping on a frappacino, all accompanied by sunny, cloudless days. So, what is a teenager to do. Despite the “elderly-friendly” appeal, Naples has proved to be somewhat teen-friendly.... [tags: Descriptive Essay, Descriptive Writing]
377 words (1.1 pages)