She kicks the tires. Not bad, maybe too clean, but we can fix that, she thinks. Ray is positively drooling. He scurries to the driver's side of the 4-door sedan and hops inside. In his enthusiasm, the slam of his door echoes across the high-ceilinged showroom and an unaccustomed frown grows on his face. "Did you hear that?" he demands of his wife, Diane, as she joins him on the passenger side. She stares back inquiringly, one brow lifted. "The door," he replies, as if explaining to a small child. When she still doesn't seem to comprehend him, he grumbles, "It just doesn't sound right is all."
A salesman's face appears at the window with an understanding smile. "Well, we have put more baffling in the panels, but I think you're referring to that very unmetallic thump. Would you like to see why?"
Disconcerted at discovering such an amiable attitude in response to his criticism, Ray's only response is "Huh?"
"If you'll just step over here, you can see for yourself," the dealer tosses over his shoulder. Puzzled, but curious, Ray and Diane join him where he is holding what looks like a door from a life-size model car. "How's your karate(? You're welcome to kick, punch, and even jump on it if you like, just give me a minute to get out of the way," he grins, clearly enjoying this part of his job.
Ray is already advancing toward the panel, but Diane hesitates, "What is it?"
"The exact same thing that you just heard on the coupe, without the paint of course. It's a composite, and sometimes commonly referred to as plastic, though when most people think of plastics, they usually think of Tupperware, not an exterior panel on a car. Go ahead, give it your best shot."
... middle of paper ...
...ile SMC for automotive body panels (Pub. No. 1-RC-18145) Toledo, Ohio: Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation.
7. Gabriele, Michael C. "At Ford, Green Light for SMC, Red for IM Body Panels". Plastics Technology. pp. 70-71, April, 1993.
8. Owens- Corning. "Design flexibility," (1996). [Online] Available: http://shango. proxicom.com:80/owens/composites/solutions/flexibility.html
9. Owens- Corning. "Dimensional stability," (1996). [Online] Available: http://shango. proxicom.com:80/owens/composites/solutions/stability.html
10. Owens- Corning. "Getting acquainted," (1995). [Online] Available: http://www6.proxima.com.80/owens/acquainted/does/glass/trans.html
11. Owens- Corning. "Introduction to composites," (1995). [Online] Available: http://shango.proxicom.com:80/owens/composites/about/intro.html
12. Saturn Corporation. Body Repair. Tennessee: Saturn, 1995.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This essay looks into safety concerns within theft of personal property from ones parked vehicle and sets out to provide a solution to ease the safety concerns of those leaving valuables in their cars. A metaphorical technique has been used to derive a single solution to a subset of a much larger problem space. There are many concerns within this area, the primary being loss/theft of personal items such as laptops, hard drives, flash drives, phones, and wallets or purses. However, just because an item is expensive doesn’t mean it is any more valuable than something that’s not, if it has purpose or personal value it may be considered valuable by the individual or groups involved.... [tags: Automobile, Vehicle, Vehicles, Motor vehicle]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- ... Carbonized rayon cloth was produced and sent to the U.S Air Force to be used as an alternative to fiberglass in rocket re-entry heat shields and nozzle cones . Unfortunately, the poor structural properties of these early carbon fiber materials severely limited their applications in industry . Roger Bacon, a PhD in Physics accidentally discovered graphite whiskers while attempting to find the triple point (where solid, liquid, and gas exist in equilibrium) of graphite . By reducing the pressure in the carbon arc, Bacon allowed the carbon vapor to directly solidify .... [tags: Carbon fiber, Composite material, Boeing 787]
1602 words (4.6 pages)
- Numerical Study of Tensile Properties of POM/ Woven Kenaf Composite. CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background Study The geometry of woven fiber reinforced polymer like Polyoxymethylene (POM) and Woven Kenaf composite is quite complex. Therefore, to predict tensile properties of such composite requires numerical method. This project focuses on the use of The Laminator software and understanding the theories on Maximum Stress, Maximum Strain, Tsai-Hill, Hoffman, and Tsai-Wu failure to produces the required results.... [tags: woven fiber composite, geometry, ]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- Pacific Panels Brochure 2010 Pacific Panels Inc. specializes in the production of stronger, lighter and more innovative sandwich panels for our customer’s architectural design applications. Our General Purpose Panels (GPP)—utilizing aluminum honeycomb, balsa and foam cores—have the advantage of superior flatness, lighter weight and unparalleled rigidity. The most common applications for our GPP sandwich panels are: - Architectural Interiors & Storefronts - Retail Stre Displays - Elevator Interiors - Signage & Billboards - Engineered Prototype, Automation & Tooling - Shipping Crates & Containers - Solar & Wind Energy, Infrastructure... [tags: Business Profile]
713 words (2 pages)
- ... At slow speed, the vehicle can utilize electric power only thus reducing usage of gas. The fuel efficiency in the hybrid vehicle compared with the gas-powered vehicle is accomplished through technological advancements in the areas of weight reduction and aerodynamics and this will eventually result in a reduction of gas engine meaning more mileage. Hybrid Electric Vehicles reduce fuel usage by using an electric storage system to save part of the energy produced by the engines and the regenerative braking.... [tags: Internal combustion engine, Electric vehicle]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- In a composite material the constituents are arranged generally with the reinforcement phase embedded in the matrix phase. Due to a composite being essentially a mixture between the reinforcement phase and the matrix there is no intermolecular bonding between the two, however, as in the case of fibrous composites, the most mechanically efficient structure is a criss-crossed fibrous lattice suspended in a material matrix. In the case of particulate composites however, the reinforcement phase acts essentially to strengthen the matrix material adding support.... [tags: Scientific Research ]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- The word composite comes from the latin “composititus” meaning made up of distinct parts. A composite material is a material composed of two or more distinct materials, or constituents, with one constituent acting as the reinforcing phase and the other as the matrix. A composite material is defined by having different macroscopic behaviours, or chemical and physical properties then its constituent materials, and has a distinct interface boundary on the microscopic level. Structure of Composites In a composite material the constituents are arranged generally with the reinforcement phase embedded in the matrix phase.... [tags: Sturctures, Types, Mechanical Properties]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- ... If you are not shopping on a limited budget- ordering a new car through a dealership direct from the factory allows for unprecedented levels of customization. Tinted windows, alloy wheels, upgraded powertrain, premium stereo equipment, navigation, blind-spot detection are just a few of the major options buyers are seeking in their ideal passenger car. Depending on the available options from the manufacturer, you receive a pristine vehicle customized and tailored according to your wishes- for some buyers, there is no replacing the pride of ownership found in driving a brand new, 0-mile vehicle off the lot.... [tags: Automobile, Vehicle, Walking, Brake]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Introduction The year 2005 was the year of birth of the cylindrical solar panel manufacturing company-Solyndra based in Fremont, California. The company’s founder, Christian Gronet had a motive of growing the industry of energy through channeling his knowledge to this company. Based in California, the company played a key role in the growth of the technology as the power to enable the electronics is needed (Wood, 2012). Furthermore, the solar panels acted as one of the ways of supporting the use of the renewable sources.... [tags: Business ethics, Ethics, Solar cell, Bankruptcy]
1918 words (5.5 pages)
- Sound Deprivation in Advanced Composite Structures Since the invention of the radar in WWII there have been many attempts to hide war ships such as planes, boats, submarines, excetra. From radar and by doing this these war ships have had their designs changed so that they have given up aerodynamics all together and because of this ships have traded in speed and mobility for stealth until now. With the invention of the composite carbon fiber and glass reinforced laminates and polyurethane treatments ships from all categories are now utilizing this and other composite materials as a way to develop and manufacture advanced composite materials which are specified for a diverse range of appli... [tags: Papers]
1193 words (3.4 pages)